Plot Points for Nisha's Story:
1) Nisha hears boy boast about climbing a large rock near the beach.
2) Men on a futuristic oil rig experience a failure in the extraction and the oil is dumped into the ocean.
3) Nisha arrives at the beach and finds a cluster of boys near the huge rock that was going to be climbed.
4) They won't let her see what they are doing.
5) she charges them and finds the boy who had boasted has tried to climb the large rock already, thousands of feet high, and has fallen and died.
6) As Nisha stares at the boy the tide comes in and, with it, the oil slick.
7) The oil coats the children as they attempt to move everything they can away from the oil slick and the rising tide.
8) Nisha gets home and finds a sand dollar she picked up in her pocket. It's gone dry.
9) In the Circle City, apart from the outside slums--salt of the earth community, news of the slick are addressed by those with power and money.
10) in the little village where Nisha lives, the oil has destroyed their way of life.
11) Nisha goes to the beach with her friend Mica, but it's not the same. Everything is dying and coated.
12) on the oil rig the men search constantly to stem the tide.
13) In the city attempts to start a clean up are dashed by corporations who have power.
14) Nisha's mother falls sick from eating some seafood infected with the oil.
15) Nisha's father tries to help the villagers clean up the oil, but he never returns.
16) In an act of desperation, Nisha writes a letter to the Circle City, with only slim hopes of it making an impact.
17) A head of the city clean up crew discovers it and announces the community to the city. The city has been unaware that people even lived outside the walls... (more happens)